[lita-l] kaltura vs Vimeo

Cary Gordon listuser at CHILLCO.COM
Fri Jul 12 20:03:57 EDT 2013

1.If you can embed objects (like widgets), then you can likely use Vimeo. There are many resources online about embedding Vimeo players in Blackboard. Your experience, of course, may differ. You can Google "embedding Vimeo players in Blackboard" for starters.

2. Yes, Vimeo PRO allows you to brand your players or use a different player of your choice.

3. Yes. It is likely to be as secure as its competition.

If you are going to be doing a lot of this, you might want to consider building your own solution using Amazon S3 and CloudFront.

I use both Vimeo and CloudFront. I do not use BlackBoard.

Thanks,

Cary

On Jul 12, 2013, at 4:14 PM, Amy Jiang <ajiang at laverne.edu> wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> Our library always got request from faculty to convert a DVD into a format on the web so that student can view in Blackboard.
>
> So we are looking into a hosted platform for us to stream video and embed into Blackboard.
>
> I looked at Vimeo, Limelight and Kaltura.
>
> It seems Kaltura is more enterprise level product. However because of the high cost, we are thinking of using Vimeo. I have a couple of questions to the listserv to see if anyone has used Vimeo before for your digital media.
> 1.       Does Vimeo work with blackboard? Can we embed vimeo video into Blackboard?
> 2.       Does Vimeo allow we do our own branding if we buy the enterprise level license?
> 3.       Does video secure? Since are going to convert copyrighted materials, the security is a top priority.
>
> I would love to hear any experience you have working with Vimeo or Kaltura. Or any other vendor you recommend. Thanks,
>
> Thanks!
> Amy

> Amy Jiang
>
> Library Technology Coordinator