Database Listings for Libraries - Best Systems or Products?

Edward McKennon edward.mckennon at GCMAIL.MARICOPA.EDU
Fri Jan 18 10:42:47 EST 2013

Are any libraries using a *database listing system* that is particularly
satisfying?  I'd be interesting in hearing from those of you who really
like your system or have particularly useful features integrated into your
system.

----- Background ----

We are looking to redesign access to library databases to support student
access across a 10 college district.  We are considering both commercial
products and homegrown development as options.

Ultimately, we like our resource to be (a) maintainable by librarians and
(b) have a very flexible public interface that would allow for a variety of
(1) library defined standard listings (by subject, by title, by resource
type, mobile optimized, etc.) and (2) user definable views (printer
friendly, detailed description, subject limited, etc.)

Furthermore, since we have 10 colleges providing varied and overlapping
access to resources, our final product must be able to integrate with
district-wide authentication systems that will enable students to see all
of the resources to which they have access no matter which college they are
attending or even if they are attending multiple colleges.

Even if your system cannot do all of the above, I'd be interested in
hearing more about it if you find its features particularly valuable with
respect to maintenance, public interface, or anything else.

Thanks much!

Ed

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2013-01-18