Mobile Computing Virtual Meeting (LITA)

Evviva Weinraub evviva.weinraub at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 15 16:26:15 EST 2013

Mobile Computing Virtual Meeting (LITA)

WHEN: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 10-11am PST/1-2pm EST

LOCATION: Virtually – go to http://oregonstate.adobeconnect.com/litamobile/

following presentations at its upcoming virtual meeting:

1.  Using Gamification to Teach Users About Library Services and Collections
Presenter: Kyle Felker, Digital Initiatives Librarian, Grand Valley State
University

The GVSU Libraries are preparing to work with a game development company to
develop a library orientation game tentatively called LibraryQuest.  Our
current thinking is that the primary platform for the game will be a mobile
app, with a target for IOS devices with the potential for cross-platform
android devices as well.  We have contracted with the company and have some
concept documents, and are planning to begin construction after the winter
holidays.

2. Responsive Web Design and Collaboration
Presenters: Bob Robertson-Boyd, Product Analyst, and Hany Elemary, Senior
Software Engineer (End User Services, OCLC)

OCLC’s End User Services has been working on a responsive design Web site
as part of the evolution of FirstSearch.  Our presentation will walk
through the collaborative process we have used to create a responsive Web
site optimized for desktop, tablet, and smart phones.  We will discuss the
business value of taking a content-first approach to developing a new Web
site and provide brief examples of how our focus on content, end users, and
data has accelerated our development, addressed accessibility issues while
delivering a single Web site for desktops, tablets and smart phones.  Our
presentation will illustrate the roles of the staff needed and address the
technology used to build this preview Web site.

3. Avoiding Mobile Redundancy with Responsive Web Design
Presenter: Jorge Brown, Access Services Librarian (University of Southern
Mississippi)

Mobile devices are a part of the digital landscape; however, there is no
unified device or operating system. To address this         concern, a
common practice has been to design a mobile web page for every operating
system currently on the market. This         has been no problem for
libraries with the resources available to devote to these projects. Other
libraries unfortunately do         not have resources to devote to a mobile
initiative.  Creating and maintaining multiple sites requires staff time
and                 resources they do not have.  The need to provide mobile
service will not go away; however, there is a way to provide
patrons with a useful mobile interface without the added cost of creating
and maintaining multiple sites.  The answer is             Responsive Web
Design.  This idea, coined by Ethan Marcotte, may be the answer to creating
a web presence in a mobile         world without the added hassle of
creating multiple sites.  The presentation will give a brief overview of
Responsive Web         Design and discuss how it could reduce the time and
upkeep associated with mobile presence allowing any size library to
provide the mobile service patrons now expect in this ever-increasing
mobile world.

4. Responsive web design: serving devices of any size from one content
source
Presenter: Jesse J. Saunders, Head, Library Systems & Web Services (A.
Frank Smith, Jr. Library Center, Southwestern University)

When redesigning our library website, our redesign team worked with our web
designer to include responsive styling, reformatting the page layout based
on the screen size of the users device. This allows us to maintain one
content source, while serving the page to any device, in a format optimized
for that screen.

5. “I would have done more” - Stepping back from usability testing to
actual use of mobile library sites
Presenters: Laurie Bridges, Instruction & Emerging Technologies Librarian
and Hannah Gascho Rempel,  Graduate Student Services Coordinator &
BioSciences Librarian (Oregon State University)

Good mobile websites are designed around an understanding of the context of
what the user is expected to do.  However, what exactly are our users doing
on our mobile library sites?  User stats only provide part of the story, so
Oregon State University librarians set out to solve this mystery by
actually asking users what they do on our mobile site.  The answers to this
question are the first step in a usability study and will help us make
smarter design decisions, decide what services to feature, and figure out
what new tools might enhance our users’ mobile library experience.  Come
learn what we are discovering so that you too can move beyond just guessing
what your mobile users are doing to really knowing.

Meeting Instructions:
Sign in as a guest and then enter room at:
http://oregonstate.adobeconnect.com/litamobile/.
If this is your first time using Adobe Connect, check out these helpful
links:
Test your connection:
http://oregonstate.adobeconnect.com/common/help/en/support/meeting_test.htm
Get a quick overview: http://www.adobe.com/products/adobeconnect.html
 COST:  Free

Evviva Weinraub
Director, Emerging Technologies & Services
evviva.weinraub at oregonstate.edu
Oregon State University Libraries
121 The Valley Library
Corvallis, OR 97331-4501
Phone: 541.737.2458
Fax:  541.737.3453
OSU Libraries: Innovation, Heart & Ideas

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2013-01-15