VIDEO: "Cataloging Unchained"

Roy Tennant roytennant at GMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 27 10:33:30 EST 2013

I'm posting notice of this since I think some of you may find it...uh...amusing.
Roy

Roy Tennant's "Cataloging Unchained" Video Illustrates the Power of
Data Mining Our Cataloging Heritage

VIDEO: http://bit.ly/catunchained

Roy presented this video during his "Leveraging WorldCat: Data Mining
the Largest Library Database in the World" keynote at the OCLC Europe,
Middle East and Africa Regional Council (EMEARC) Annual Meeting on 26
February in Strasbourg, France.[1]

With nearly 300 million bibliographic records, WorldCat is the largest
aggregation of shared library data in the world. With access to this
data on a large parallel processing computer cluster, OCLC Research
has undertaken a number of projects to maximize its value by
processing the data in interesting ways to create new services. Work
is also being done to report back to the library profession on how the
MARC standard has been used over the last 40 years. OCLC Research
Senior Program Officer Roy Tennant kicked off his keynote presentation
with this "Cataloging Unchained" video and went on to describe some of
these efforts as an illustration of the power of mining shared library
data.

[1] http://www.oclc.org/go/emea2013.html