Facebook error that hijacks thousands of websites isn't just an 'inconvenience' | Internet privacy - InfoWorld

Steven E. Patamia, Ph.D. patamia at GMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 9 14:37:30 EST 2013

Yes, it bothers me as much as it bothers you.

Its also nothing new in the sense of indicating that Facebook and its key
techie is intent on invading the privacy of its users to the maximum extent
it can and has been doing it with only minimal detection for so long that
it has never developed protocols to even test whether it has consequences
to others.  They (he) only cares if you find out -- and then defends by
minimizing -- or trying to.

Facebook has on the order of trillion users partly because it offers a lot
of them a service which includes things they really like having, but also
because from its inception it has used seduction and subtle deception as
its business plan for growing the user base.  How many people "joined"
Facebook because it was what was necessary to be able look at those cute
pictures one of their friends or associates sent them a message to entice
them to look at them?  In the early years, how many of those Facebook users
who just posted adorable pictures of their kids to their FB page and sent a
messages to friends genuinely understood that they were being exploited to
boost the user base.  It all seemed so innocent!

I know people who really like using Facebook.  Some of them liked it right
up until something bad happened.

I don't know how this story will end.  I do know that I am glad I never did
create a Facebook account and I am sure I never will.  Lie down with dogs
and get fleas.... or do business with a sociopathic/psychopathic enterprise
and get screwed.  And now -- maybe the corrupted adage should be something
like -- the infection of exploitation can be transmitted to others with no
connection to the original exploiter.... or something like that.

--
Steven E. Patamia, Ph.D., J.D.
Personal Cell: (352) 219-6592