Google Scholar and Library Links

Moss,Paul mossp at OCLC.ORG
Wed Dec 11 10:55:41 EST 2013

You have to do a bit of poking around to figure out the right number to use, but you can create a link to the Google Scholar search box like this:

http://scholar.google.com/schhp?inst=569367360547434339

The 'inst' param is the one that you can see in the form submission (using something like livehttpheaders https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/live-http-headers/) when you manually configure your library through the Settings page.  I think the proper link for your institution is this one:

http://scholar.google.com/schhp?inst=450414021512529004

That should automatically configure your library's link resolver as the one to use when the user performs a search regardless of whether they are on campus or not.

Fair warning though: Google makes no guarantee this will continue to work.  They probably will (and have since I first figured this out) change the way that this works.

Paul

________________________________
From: Web technologies in libraries <WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU> on behalf of Graham, Stephen <s.graham4 at HERTS.AC.UK>
Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 10:28 AM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: Re: [WEB4LIB] Google Scholar and Library Links

Hi Laura - yes, we have set this up. We use the Serial Solutions 360 link resolver, and Google grab our holdings from there, so when our users are on-campus (or are off-campus and have explicitly changed the GS settings to use our link resolver), the correct full text links appear. I'm interested if there is a way for students, when off-campus, to be recognised as UH students without changing the settings - via a special "launch" URL which tells Google Scholar where the user is from? I bite like a WAYFless url in Shibboleth terms.

Stephen