Library subdomain names

Richard Wiggins richard.wiggins at GMAIL.COM
Sun Aug 4 16:21:18 EDT 2013

This is something that institutions of all sizes wrestle with, as they have
ever since the Web era began.  When do you use subdomains?  When do you use
a "folder" - virtual or real - anchored off the main site?  When do you
create a new domain?  Disney screwed this up with their "go" subdomains.
 CBS uses cbsnews.com instead of news.cbs.com.

But you folks appear to have it simple.  From a glance it appears that the
major entry points at manhattan.edu are manhattan.edu/topic - About,
Admissions, Academics.  What's wrong with manhattan.edu/library ?  Seems
clean and simple.

I do believe in generous redirects based on log analysis.  I just tried
http://www.cbs.com/news and it failed to give the obvious redirect.

Frankly, making your main link mclibrary.manhattan.edu because of a
previous choice of a proxy server strikes me as an unfortunate choice,
though understandable based on history.  But is your library branded in any
way as "mclibrary" ?  Not a good brand.

I'd worry more about why a search from the manhattan.edu home page doesn't
bring up your library at the top of the hit list, and why the library is
not more prominently featured on the home page.

Just 2 cents' worth from far away.  Good luck!

/rich