[WEB4LIB} Computer Use Time

Riesner, Giles W. GRIESNER at CCBCMD.EDU
Wed Apr 10 16:26:07 EDT 2013

Linda Babli asked:

What time limits, if any, have you set for you public access computers?
Any pros, cons?

A number of years back when we first got our lab and had only 20 PCs total for them to use we adopted a policy
of a 2-hour time limit at a time  for primarily academic use with the disclaimer that if things weren't busy we
wouldn't enforce it. Back then we had some software (the particular program is no longer around, but I'm sure
you can find comparable software still) that could enforce time limits, though we used it mostly to enforce closing
time.  It was an attempt at fairness, but required enforcement by staff.

With many more PCs in a newer facility (about 120 public machines plus about 10 laptops) we tend not to even
bother these days.  The public libraries near us use reservation type software that DOES enforce time limits.
Unless you have very limited resources and/or can enforce it with reservation type software (and I believe there's
even freeware in this category), it's probably more trouble then it's worth.

Just my .02 worth.

Giles W. Riesner, Jr. | Lead Library Technician , Library Technology
The Community College of Baltimore County   | 800 South Rolling Road | Catonsville, MD 21228 USA
Phone:  1-443-840-2736 | Fax: 1-410-455-6436 | Email:  griesner at ccbcmd.edu
CCBC. The incredible value of education.

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2013-04-10