Auto-Login for PACs

Wesley Johnson wjohnson at DCPLIBRARY.ORG
Tue Apr 2 08:19:24 EDT 2013

Here's a quick Windows registry tweak that we use on all our public PCs for auto-login:

"1. Go to Start>Run (or you can also press the windows key+r)

2. Type regedit and press the enter key or click on OK. This will open the Registry Editor.

3. In the registry editor go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>Microsoft>Windows NT>CurrentVersion>Winlogon

4. On the right pane of the registry editor you should now see a list of names and it’s values. Among these name check whether AutoAdminLogon, DefaultPassword and DefaultUsername are there.

5. If any of names are listed make them by: right click on empty area in the right pane, then select New>String Value and enter the value names: AutoAdminLogon, DefaultPassword and DefaultUsername (or only keystrings that are not present)

6. After creating them double-click each value and enter the following value data for the particular value
AutoAdminLogon Value : 1
DefaultPassword Value : the pasword of the user profile (example: pass123)
DefaultUsername Value : the username of the account you want to log in to (example: Administrator)
7. Thats it. Restart (reboot) your computer and next time it starts it will auto-startup and login entered username and password."

Those instructions came from this site: http://www.velikan.net/automatic-login-windows-account/. Sometimes you'll have to do it once or twice to get it to take; however, we've had pretty good luck doing that.