question about change url (domain name)

Thomas Krichel krichel at OPENLIB.ORG
Wed Sep 26 18:16:15 EDT 2012

  Xi Chen writes

> Thanks!
>
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 11:48 AM, Hilton Gibson <hilton.gibson at gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > Or you can try: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_rewrite.html

  I am not sure what the "or" refers to here. The way I could see this
  working is to take requests from a client at
  www.oberlin.edu/library/sp/foo to start with.  For each such
  request, make the web server at Oberlin forward a query to
  www.abc-college.com/sp/foo, have this sent by the abc-college web
  server to the Oberlin server and then forward from the Oberlin
  server to the client. I have something like this running in
  production, but in a simpler setting, with two Apache installations
  on the same box.

  The scenario I propose here could be quite complicated to set up.
  It would have multiple fault points. Its drawbacks most likely defeat
  the purpose of running abs-college.com anyway. But at least theoretically,
  yes, it's possible.

  Cheers,

  Thomas Krichel                    http://openlib.org/home/krichel
                                      http://authorprofile.org/pkr1