Help with Implications of Library's place in University DNS

Isidro F. Aguillo isidro.aguillo at CCHS.CSIC.ES
Wed Sep 19 11:22:35 EDT 2012

Talking about friendly URLs, why are many libraries using "lib" instead
of "library" in the URL?. There is no real advantage on this that fact
penalizes in search engines rank as end-users are asking for "library",
not lib. The same applies to biol instead of biology, med instead of
medicine and more relevant to this forum, eprints/dspace instead of
repository.

A few examples:

The University of Chicago Library    lib.uchicago.edu/
UMD Library University of Minnesota Duluth    www.d.umn.edu/lib/
The Library-University of California, Berkeley www.lib.berkeley.edu/
e-Library at Iowa State University    www.lib.iastate.edu/
Monash University Library    www.lib.monash.edu/