Help with Implications of Library's place in University DNS

Francis Kayiwa kayiwa at UIC.EDU
Tue Sep 18 19:03:22 EDT 2012

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 04:29:32PM -0500, Kent Gerber wrote:
> Dear Web Librarians,
>
> Our Library is in the midst of a University-wide web redesign and during a
> meeting we heard that the Web Services group might be considering moving
> the library from it's library.bethel.edu domain to something more like
> www.bethel.edu/offices/library. Is this a cause for concern?
>
> My suspicion is that we might lose some functionality with this change but
> I wanted to consult your expertise before I get too riled up.
>
> Do any of you have experience with this kind of DNS shift and is there a
> significant technological or functional change that I should be aware of
> with this issue?  Our library does not have an internal Web Services group
> and we depend on the University's Web Services group for these kinds of
> issues.
>
> Any advice or experience is appreciated.

It shouldn't matter much where it lives 'slong as you have a decent
sysadmin to make this trivial change. The sysadmin using CName or
webaliasing can save your vanity ID to point to any `destination`. This
can either be done using the webserver that serves up your pages and/or
the name server (the latter would be my more reliable solution as it
changes less frequently than a webserver's config file would.)

regards,
./fxk

--
Irrationality is the square root of all evil.
		-- Douglas Hofstadter