Help with Implications of Library's place in University DNS

Kelly Zhu zhu.kelly at YMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 18 17:55:12 EDT 2012

To me, this is very unfortunate thing.  It seems to suggest that the library services are not highly assessed; the IT head and the university leaders (I assume the name change is their idea) do not realize that they actually throw away a valuable soft asset.  Who cares about the new name, though it sounds logic in your organization?  Not to say your library will downgrade to one of the offices on campus.

Technically speaking, the new name is not a domain name.  Very likely, you will lose the control of it as a physical server.  I am guessing your IT will host the server for you, and let you access to files remotely somehow.

To put it short: you need to vehemently oppose the idea.

Kelly Zhu
Web Services Librarian
Chambers Library
University of Central Oklahoma

________________________________
 From: Kent Gerber <kent-gerber at BETHEL.EDU>
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 4:29 PM
Subject: [WEB4LIB] Help with Implications of Library's place in University DNS

Dear Web Librarians,

Our Library is in the midst of a University-wide web redesign and during a meeting we heard that the Web Services group might be considering moving the library from it's library.bethel.edu domain to something more like www.bethel.edu/offices/library. Is this a cause for concern?

My suspicion is that we might lose some functionality with this change but I wanted to consult your expertise before I get too riled up.

Do any of you have experience with this kind of DNS shift and is there a significant technological or functional change that I should be aware of with this issue?  Our library does not have an internal Web Services group and we depend on the University's Web Services group for these kinds of issues.

Any advice or experience is appreciated.

Kent

--
Kent Gerber, MSLIS
Digital Library Manager