Web Fonts in your discovery layer?

Michael Schofield mschofield at NOVA.EDU
Tue Sep 18 14:22:44 EDT 2012

Hi Chris,

We don't have a discovery layer, but we use custom fonts and icon-fonts that
live on our own server. I know that swapping image icons with icon fonts has
done nothing but increased performance - but that's more about removing
images than anything.

I can't imagine that Typekit or Google Web Fonts would greatly impact yours.
There are web font JS plugins-or you could write your own-that fallback on
your font stack if Typekit seems a little laggy, but they serve-up thousands
of web fonts flawlessly. Notable lag or "font flashing" (displaying one font
before the web font loads) probably aren't much of an issue. Also, if you
use a relatively popular web font you might have the added benefit that many
of your users have already cached it browsing other websites - same benefit
to using the Google jQuery CDN instead of locally serving it.

Anyway, I'm just speculating - enthusiastically. : )