The Big Bookboon Textbook Survey > ~60% of Students Prefer Digital Textbooks

McKiernan, Gerard [LIB] gerrymck at IASTATE.EDU
Thu Sep 13 14:02:04 EDT 2012

*** Spoiler Alert > Possible Duplicate Posting ***

Colleagues/

U.S. _and_ European student views !

/Gerry

September 11 2012

On the occasion of the start of the new semester we have asked close to 10.000 students about their opinion on digital vs. printed textbooks. Would you like to learn more about international students’ reading and learning habits? On the right you can see, for examples, the results from the US. Interested? Then take a look at the other results. And last but not least, thanks to all those who participated in our survey.

About the survey

Our textbook survey was conducted between the 1st of June and the 1st of September. During this time close to 10.000 students from countries such as the United States, the United Kingdom and the Netherlands answered our questions about the use of textbooks. The results from Denmark and Germany will be online soon. In the meantime, take a look at the already existing results – in a written and graphical version. [snip]

  *   US students are the champions of digital textbooks: 58% favour digital over printed textbooks.
  *   UK students are the kings and queens of taking it easy: 62.5% of the students in favor of digital textbooks prefer them because they are easier to carry.
  *   Dutch students never get tired of flipping real pages around: 70% of them are still preferring printed book

Source and Links to Individual Country Survey Results Available Via

[ http://digital-textbooks.blogspot.com/2012/09/the-big-bookboon-textbook-survey-60-of.html ]

Enjoy !

Gerry McKiernaan
Associate Professor