Random & Casual Poll: What abt. Web Services Should You Know?

Nina Mchale milehighbrarian at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 11 16:21:16 EDT 2012

I would also add familiarity with one or more of the major proprietary or
open source content management systems popular in library
environments--WordPress, Drupal, Joomla!, MediaWiki, SharePoint, LibGuides,
etc. CMS management is a set of skills in and of itself, beyond just
knowledge of whatever code is operates the CMS.

Related to this is web content strategy. Who creates content along with
you, the web person? How do you manage content so that it doesn't get
old/stale/outdated or is even just written well for web presentation? How
do you make sure brand/messaging/voice are all on target, with multiple
authors/editors? Often, navigating tasks, procedures, policies, staffing,
etc., related to content management is more complicated that learning
programming languages. ;) The web person/people in a library will have all
of the responsibility for web content, but very little in the way of actual
authority to do what s/he needs to do. It might be hard to build experience
in this area, but I'd suggest volunteering for a non-profit--church,
school, HOA, historical society, etc.--if this isn't available to the
student.

Also, web analytics: familiarity with basic metrics (visits, visitors,
unique visitors), goals, KPIs, conversions, and how to apply all of these
to an assessment of library web services.

--
Nina

Nina McHale, MA/MSLS
milehighbrarian.net
Facebook & Twitter: @ninermac

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 2:12 PM, Michael Schofield <mschofield at nova.edu>wrote:

> Hi everyone,****
>
> ** **
>
> Every so often in the library blogosophere I see posts dedicated to
> whether librarians should know how to code. The answer I usually give is
> awful - something like, “Um. Probably.” Anyway, since you all work with the
> web and/or library systems, I’m curious about your wizened answers. Here’s
> the scenario: *if a LIS student intending to work in web services *(or
> w/e) *asked your advice, what code / platforms / other skills would you
> recommend for success?*****
>
> ** **
>
> I’ll compile and share the results in a couple of weeks.****
>
> ** **
>
> All the best,****
>
> ** **
>
> *M*ichael *Schofield*(@nova.edu) | Web Services Librarian****
>
> Alvin Sherman Library, Research, and Information Technology Center****
>
> ** **
>
> Hi! Hit me up *any* time, but I’d *really* appreciate it if you report *broken
> links*, *bugs*, your meeting *minutes*, or request an awesome *web app*over on the Library
> Web Services <http://staff.library.nova.edu/pm> site.****
>
> ** **
>
> Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/
>
> 2012-09-10