QR codes and accessibility

Jon Knight J.P.Knight at LBORO.AC.UK
Tue Sep 4 11:47:44 EDT 2012

On Tue, 4 Sep 2012, Deborah Stanley wrote:
> I must admit, I don't know what kind of smart phones our visually
> impaired users carry. I need to get in touch with our Disability
> Services people and see what they can tell me about the kinds of
> phones and the work around, as Hugh mentioned. I would have thought an
> iPhone with Siri would be useful, but I don't know for sure.

You might find you can use NFC for this, and thus the users won't need to
be able to see where the QR code is.

The Google Nexus 7 tablet includes this for example, and we've already
played with getting it to read the RFID tags in the library stock (another
handy use - its a heck of a lot cheaper than the traditional vendor
portable RFID wands!).  Other new smartphone/tablets will start to include
NFC as well, as its being aimed at electronic payments.  It might be a
while before a large percentage of your user base have NFC capable
devices, but its coming.