Content Management System for web/intranet

Mary Beth Faccioli mbfaccioli at YAHOO.COM
Mon Oct 15 14:03:04 EDT 2012

Hi,
I commonly evaluate web projects for either Drupal or WordPress, and I develop with both systems.  I will typically go with/recommend Drupal if there are certain needs for functionality.  One is discussion forums.  Another is complexity within the user roles, and controlling content for certain users.  If these aspects (among others, but these are some you mention) are part of a project, I wouldn't use WordPress.  That's just my own process, that I've been using for a number of years now.  I believe Drupal is also more powerful on content re-use, and while I don't use version control myself, Drupal has high marks on this.

I'm looking at the specs you outline, and based on those things (not cost, not resources you do or don't have available for development and maintaining, not hosting), if I was consulting on your project, I would recommend Drupal over WordPress.  I can't speak to the other platforms being mentioned.

In case this is helpful.

Mary Beth Faccioli, MLIS
Instructional Design and Technology Consultant

Colorado State Library

________________________________
 From: David Whelan <davidpwhelan at GMAIL.COM>
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Sent: Monday, October 15, 2012 10:39 AM
Subject: Re: [WEB4LIB] Content Management System for web/intranet

I like the suggestions for Wordpress, although out of the box it won't do some of the things you're looking for.  It would work well for both intranet/Web (and consider Wordpress Multisite, which is built-in, for managing more than one Wordpress site at once).  The plugins seem limitless and would answer for forms, polls, voting, etc.  You could also develop your own, which is a huge plus for the application.  I'm not sure it handles content aging in the way you're describing and I'm not aware of a plugin that would help you to flag content for review after X months or whatever.  Plugins can also help with content reuse and shortcodes are available (and can be created) to support that.   I also don't think it's great on version control, but it's not a feature I've dug into so perhaps there is more to it.  I use the Wordpress Jetpack plugin for some analytics but mostly use an external analytics tool.

Plone is another (free to acquire) open source CMS that is weaker on the plug-in side but provides more of the version control and management tools you might want.  It also has functionality you can add for discussions, polls, etc, and could be implemented in more than one instance.  If you've already got Python expertise and not PHP, this might be a better option than Wordpress or Drupal.  Also, I think it handles multi-lingual sites better than Wordpress.  It can be tricky to retheme but there's a large community of folks developing for it and supporting it.  Like Wordpress & Drupal, there are 3d party consultants implementing it.

Good luck!  David.

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 6:24 PM, Anna Wheeler <awheeler at unitec.ac.nz> wrote:

>>>Hi

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/