Online Dictionary

Robin Hutchinson rhutchinson at STLAWU.EDU
Fri Oct 12 08:47:15 EDT 2012

We have subscribed for several years to the Oxford English Dictionary.  It is the equivalent of the 20 volume set published in 1989, with the updates.  I would highly recommend it, even if you have the print edition in your reference collection.  Costs somewhere in the 500-1000 a year range.  As others have mentioned, Oxford does have a free online presence, but that is quite a different resource.

It seems to me that students do not need the library to point them to dictionary resources on the open web, they know how to find them.  Providing them with the subscription-based OED for comprehensive definitions, historical instances of use, etymologies, etc. is more of a library responsibility.

 I use both.. http://oxforddictionaries.com/  http://www.merriam-webster.com/ http://www.urbandictionary.com/ etc. etc.  But I go to the OED for history, etymology, examples of use, and the institution has to pay for that...

Robin

Robin Hutchinson
Serials Librarian
Owen D. Young Library
St. Lawrence University
Canton, NY 13617

-----Original Message-----
From: Web technologies in libraries [mailto:WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On Behalf Of Lisa M. Zarrella
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2012 3:28 PM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: [WEB4LIB] Online Dictionary

Good Day,

It has been requested that the university library make a good online dictionary available to students on it's website.  I have thus far looked at Merriam-Webster and Oxford.  Does anyone else have any suggestions?  If you have a dictionary resource on your library website, what do you use?

Thanks!

Lisa

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2012-10-11