Art.sy : The 'Pandora' of the Art World

McKiernan, Gerard [LIB] gerrymck at IASTATE.EDU
Tue Oct 9 16:39:44 EDT 2012

*** Spoiler Alert > Possible Duplicate Posting ***

Colleagues/

What Can I Say ? > WoW !!!

/Gerry

The world of fine art — from the auction house to the home display — has long been considered the realm of the stuffy, old and wealthy. One imagines collectors examining sought-after pieces through opera glasses, wine glasses in hand, noses in the air.

Fine art is also one of the last mediums to resist the digital pull. These days, while we buy music, shoes, books and anything else we want online, art has remained a world apart.

The developers of Art.sy aim to change that. CEO Carter Cleveland and COO Sebastian Cwilich bill the website as the Pandora for the art world, an algorithm-based website that draws on a users' art preferences for find new artists they'll love. Cleveland, a young computer programmer with a passion for art, and Cwilich, a former executive at Christie's Auction House, hope to upend the art world, and to open fine art to a new, digital generation.

GUESTS: Carter Cleveland and Sebastian Cwilich
PRODUCED BY: Jillian Weinberger

Also Link to NYTimes article >

NYTimes > Online, a Genome Project for the World of Art

Source and Links Available Via

[ http://ref-notes.blogspot.com/2012/10/artsy-pandora-of-art-world.html ]

Gerry McKiernan
Associate Professor