Role of News on Library Websites

Michael Schofield mschofield at NOVA.EDU
Tue Oct 9 10:02:33 EDT 2012

Hey everyone,

A recent "Daily Number" from Pew
(http://pewresearch.org/databank/dailynumber/?NumberID=1600) considered the
amount of news people are consuming on tablets and whether the tech itself
has influenced the number. I started wondering about the role that news
plays on a library website. This is the same kind of tangential leap my
brain made between today's choice of coffee and Borderlands 2. I'm not
talking about blogs about upcoming events, but actual, curated,
[community-relevant?] news. Hell, if anything I'd think there's more of a
place for it on a library's website than Comcast's [or your ISP of choice].

I'm just interested in the different kinds of content types we can bring
into play that may not appear to be on the table when we're discussing these
things.

Especially if your library serves a smaller community with fewer outlets,
would they appreciate a hub of hyper-local news even if it does not
immediately connect back to the library itself? Are any of you doing this?
This is all assuming we have the extra time and resources to maintain
something like this. Perhaps you could just curate submissions generated
from your patrons.

Just brainstorming [and procrastinating .].

Michael Schofield(@nova.edu) | Web Services Librarian | (954) 262-4536

Alvin Sherman Library, Research, and Information Technology Center

Hi! Hit me up any time, but I'd really appreciate it if you report broken
links, bugs, your meeting minutes, or request an awesome web app over on the
Library Web Services <http://staff.library.nova.edu/pm>  site.

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2012-10-09