Crowdsourcing transcriptions: professionals & tools?

Lars Aronsson lars at ARONSSON.SE
Mon Oct 1 17:32:41 EDT 2012

On 2012-10-01 14:45, Michael Götze wrote:
> we are working on a project for enabling structured access to about 300
> historical phone and address directories (i.e. name, profession, address,
> ...), with directories from Berlin, Germany, dating from 1799 to 1990...
>
> We have rather poor OCR results, which we want to correct with methods of
> crowdsourcing. Currently we are looking for professionals & companies that
> have experience in this field and who would like to implement an
> attractive, user-friendly solution for us.
>
> Do you have experience with or can you recommend sb.???
>
> Alternatively we considered to search for sb. to implement an open source

Do you already have a crowd? It seems wasteful to implement
a new solution and gather a new crowd for only 300 volumes.
It's not a big digital library, and perhaps you underestimate
the required overhead to keep the site running.Have you
considered to upload your scanned images and text to
Wikisource, and use that existing platform and crowd?
If you have any resources to invest, I would hope that you
could work with Wikimedia Deutschland e.V. in Berlin to
improve the existing Wikisource platform.

http://de.wikisource.org/

My background in this matter, back in 2005,
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:LA2/Digitizing_books_with_MediaWiki

--
   Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)
   Project Runeberg - free Nordic literature - http://runeberg.org/