Crowdsourcing transcriptions: professionals & tools?

Michael Götze goetze at JPBERLIN.DE
Mon Oct 1 08:45:00 EDT 2012

Hello,

we are working on a project for enabling structured access to about 300
historical phone and address directories (i.e. name, profession, address,
...), with directories from Berlin, Germany, dating from 1799 to 1990...

We have rather poor OCR results, which we want to correct with methods of
crowdsourcing. Currently we are looking for professionals & companies that
have experience in this field and who would like to implement an
attractive, user-friendly solution for us.

Do you have experience with or can you recommend sb.???

Alternatively we considered to search for sb. to implement an open source
solution for this task - below are some links to some resources and
solutions. Do you have experiences with one of these?

Thanks a lot for your support - we will provide a summary of the feedback.

Many greetings,
Michael Götze

=> an overview of tools:
http://manuscripttranscription.blogspot.com.au/2011/02/2010-year-of-crowdsourcing.html

=> some tools:
- Scribe (used in https://www.zooniverse.org/):
https://github.com/zooniverse/Scribe; e.g.: in http://www.oldweather.org

- From The Page (): https://github.com/benwbrum/fromthepage/wiki

- T-Pen: http://digital-editor.blogspot.de/

- Scripto: http://scripto.org/

- Transcription Desk (Transcribe Bentham):
http://www.transcribe-bentham.da.ulcc.ac.uk/td/Transcribe_Bentham

Michael Götze
Mobil: 0157 - 7156 1976
Web: http://kleinzacheles.net

Unkraut ist alles, was nach dem Jäten wieder wächst. (Mark Twain)