Top library event systems?

Sutherland, Paul Paul.Sutherland at CCC.GOVT.NZ
Fri Nov 30 15:04:17 EST 2012

Hi

we use Trumba
http://www.trumba.com/connect/default.aspx

see
http://christchurchcitylibraries.com/Events/

/paul

________________________________

From: Web technologies in libraries [mailto:WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On
Behalf Of Tim Spalding
Sent: Friday, 30 November 2012 6:18 AM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: [WEB4LIB] Top library event systems?

Dear Web4Lib-ers,

I need help identifying the top library event systems.

* Who are the top competitors? I don't care what's best, but just what's
popular.
* Has anyone worked with the systems on a technical level, eg., moving
it to other calendar systems, etc.?

## Background:

LibraryThing has decided to expand our "LibraryThing Local" system (
http://www.librarything.com/local ), starting with our events coverage,
by scraping and other parsing. So far we're processing data from all of
the "Big Six" publishers, a bunch of smaller publishers, Barnes and
Noble, IndieBound, Waterstones, Powell's, etc. Members have also been
adding events-we've got more than 10,000 events coming up in the next
few months. This is the worst time of the year for events, so that's a
lot.

But we're missing libraries, except what members have been adding. Many
of the big city libraries have fans adding all the events by hand-but
it's a drop in the bucket.

Incidentally, if you're interested in adding your library's events to
LibraryThing, LibraryThing is current lgiving money to charity for every
event added, manually through an event-adding API. See the blog post:
http://www.librarything.com/blogs/librarything/2012/11/add-events-to-lib
rarything-local-and-give-books-to-needy-readers/

Best,
Tim

--
Check out my library at http://www.librarything.com/profile/timspalding

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2012-11-29

This electronic email and any files transmitted with it are intended

The views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender
and may not necessarily reflect the views of the Christchurch City Council.

If you are not the correct recipient of this email please advise the
sender and delete.

Christchurch City Council
http://www.ccc.govt.nz

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/