Top library event systems?

Glenn Peterson glenn at ENGAGEDPATRONS.ORG
Fri Nov 30 00:13:33 EST 2012

Hi Tim --

Over 350 smart public libraries in North America are using the Library Events service from EngagedPatrons.org.

The Events service offers user-configurable RSS feeds out of the box. I'm also open to assisting you folks with an API that would facilitate your ingesting data into LTL if the feeds don't meet your needs. My member libraries would appreciate help getting the word out about their upcoming events!

Contact me if you would like more information.

Glenn Peterson, MLS
engagedpatrons.org
authoralerts.org
http://engagedpatrons.org

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Tim Spalding
  To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
  Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2012 11:18 AM
  Subject: [WEB4LIB] Top library event systems?

  Dear Web4Lib-ers,

  I need help identifying the top library event systems.

  * Who are the top competitors? I don't care what's best, but just what's popular.
  * Has anyone worked with the systems on a technical level, eg., moving it to other calendar systems, etc.?

  ## Background:

  LibraryThing has decided to expand our "LibraryThing Local" system ( http://www.librarything.com/local ), starting with our events coverage, by scraping and other parsing. So far we're processing data from all of the "Big Six" publishers, a bunch of smaller publishers, Barnes and Noble, IndieBound, Waterstones, Powell's, etc. Members have also been adding events—we've got more than 10,000 events coming up in the next few months. This is the worst time of the year for events, so that's a lot.

  But we're missing libraries, except what members have been adding. Many of the big city libraries have fans adding all the events by hand—but it's a drop in the bucket.

  Incidentally, if you're interested in adding your library's events to LibraryThing, LibraryThing is current lgiving money to charity for every event added, manually through an event-adding API. See the blog post: http://www.librarything.com/blogs/librarything/2012/11/add-events-to-librarything-local-and-give-books-to-needy-readers/

  Best,
  Tim

  --
  Check out my library at http://www.librarything.com/profile/timspalding