Top library event systems?

Tim Spalding tim at LIBRARYTHING.COM
Thu Nov 29 12:18:05 EST 2012

Dear Web4Lib-ers,

I need help identifying the top library event systems.

* Who are the top competitors? I don't care what's best, but just what's
popular.
* Has anyone worked with the systems on a technical level, eg., moving it
to other calendar systems, etc.?

## Background:

LibraryThing has decided to expand our "LibraryThing Local" system (
http://www.librarything.com/local ), starting with our events coverage, by
scraping and other parsing. So far we're processing data from all of the
"Big Six" publishers, a bunch of smaller publishers, Barnes and Noble,
IndieBound, Waterstones, Powell's, etc. Members have also been adding
events—we've got more than 10,000 events coming up in the next few months.
This is the worst time of the year for events, so that's a lot.

But we're missing libraries, except what members have been adding. Many of
the big city libraries have fans adding all the events by hand—but it's a
drop in the bucket.

Incidentally, if you're interested in adding your library's events to
LibraryThing, LibraryThing is current lgiving money to charity for every
event added, manually through an event-adding API. See the blog post:
http://www.librarything.com/blogs/librarything/2012/11/add-events-to-librarything-local-and-give-books-to-needy-readers/

Best,
Tim

--