How to configure subdomain hosting without domain hosting?

Wilhelmina Randtke randtke at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 27 11:14:30 EST 2012

I'm trying to get a subdomain of my university's domain pointed at content
on a cheapie hosting account.  To do this, I can get main campus to put in
a CNAME record with the IP address matching where the DNS for my cheapie
hosting account is currently located in the cheapie hosting company's
system.  The problem is, this IP will periodically change, meaning main
campus IT will have to be involved periodically down the line in order to
cut and paste the new IP into their system, and meaning that the hosted
services could go unavailable for a few days when this happens.

The main campus uses GoDaddy's DNS which is set in stone, and the cheapie
hosting in question is Dreamhost but any other cheapie service would do.

Am I doing this the hard way?  *How would you go about getting a subdomain
of your university's URL to point at your cheapie webhosting account?  *

 Subdomain forwarding with masking then storing content at a random URL but
having it appear to be on the university's subdomain does not work, because
this causes problems responding to XML queries.
I am able to run a server in my office or the building with a static IP,
but I don't want content to live on an in-house server.  Could I use this
to catch things coming to the IP, then redirect to the cheapie hosting
account?
Is there a way to go from GoDaddy's DNS management system to point at the
nameservers for the cheapie hosting company, the same way you would do to
host a domain?

-Wilhelmina Randtke

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2012-11-27