information, documentary monitoring

Thomas Krichel krichel at OPENLIB.ORG
Fri May 18 09:49:38 EDT 2012

  Stéphane Dudart writes

> I am looking for references about information monitoring as part of a
> special library service. I found tools and books about sources of
> information, but nothing about the methodology for building a monitoring
> service thanks to which I could improve my practice. Could you share your
> resources with me please ?

  At the risk of being accused of shameless self promotion, let me
  reveal that I created a current awareness for the RePEc digital
  library in 1998. It is still going strong.  Volunteer editors filter
  about 500 documents a week into weekly reports. They are aided by an
  SVM learning method that predict likely inclusions from past report
  issues. The system runs at

http://nep.repec.org

  Technical documentation is at

http://nep.repec.org/technical.html

  The software system is called ernad. It is documented at

http://openlib.org/home/krichel/work/altai.html

  This paper is a hard reading and not completely up to date. But it
  gives you a good idea of how general ernad is.

  I will be happy to give you access to the computer where NEP runs so
  you can study how it works. We have report histories, membership
  data, and data about the editing process.

  A PhD dissertation has been written about current awareness, with
  special reference to NEP

http://nep.repec.org/research/lfsouto/leo_tese-doutorado-30-06.pdf

  There is a lot of data for a lot more PhD dissertations!

  Cheers,

  Thomas Krichel                    http://openlib.org/home/krichel
                                      http://authorprofile.org/pkr1
                                               skype: thomaskrichel