Is anyone checking out Ipads for in-house use...

Sandford, Mark SANDFORDM1 at WPUNJ.EDU
Wed May 9 14:10:59 EDT 2012

We circulate iPads.  They are locked down with a PIN that prevents
downloading apps and initiating purchases.  We haven't had any breakage
that I'm aware of.  We're an academic library, so we aren't loaning to
kids, but we ARE loaning to undergraduates, which is similar :-)

Pros: Frees up computers for more production-oriented work (i.e. MS
Office programs, heavy research)

                Gives our students and faculty the opportunity to test
drive a new gadget

                Ebook apps and be loaded with classics (or purchased
items)

                Good will and good press

Cons: iPads are very much consumer-oriented in nature.  Locked down via
pin means they can't be used in many of the ways people like to use them
ie. Facebook apps, etc.  The web browser versions work fine, though, but
that kind of defeats the seamlessness of a native app.  It's more of a
philosophical con, though, as borrowers presumably don't have their own,
or at least wouldn't expect the exact same experience on a borrowed
device.

We loan ours out for two hours, with a hefty ($10, I think) per-hour
overdue fee.  One was "stolen" by a student too stupid to realize that
we knew who he was because he checked it out.  Campus police found it in
his dorm room.  We have since installed GPS tracking software just in
case.  I think the software also allows for remote viewing of the screen
and silent activation of the camera.

Mark Sandford

Special Formats Cataloger

Cheng Library