Cites & Insights May 2012 available

Walt Crawford waltcrawford at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 2 16:26:52 EDT 2012

[The original announcement went to the old Web4Lib address and was
bounced. I believe the second article in this issue, "Public Library
Closures 2," is particularly important--and it's original research--so
I'm sending it again.]

Cites & Insights 12:4 (May 2012) is now available for downloading at
http://citesandinsights.info/civ12i4.pdf
The issue is 44 pages long. It is also available in a 6x9"
single-column version, optimized for viewing on edevices (and idevices
bigger than phones) and available at
http://citesandinsights.info/civ12i4on.pdf
That version (exactly the same text, but somewhat cruder appearance)
is 82 pages long; if you plan to print, please download the regular
version!

The issue includes the following (each essay also available as an HTML
separate at http://citesandinsights.info, noting that the single graph
in the second section may not appear properly):

The Front (pp. 1-2)

    Breaking down The Middle: why there won' be a long series of
wholly miscellaneous sections with that heading. Also some notes on
the reality since I took action based on reader polls (including the
truth about people's willingness, so far, to pay the lower suggested
donations).

Libraries: Public Library Closures 2 (pp. 2-14)

    Investigating 1998-2009. Another original research piece, this one
involving a lot more research, reducing the number of
apparently-closed (based on IMLS changes) public libraries over the
last 12 years from 785 to...well, read the story. Includes a proud
admission of error, a case where I'm delighted my original guess was
way off base.

The Middle: Futurism (pp. 14-33)

    A roundup of trends and other bits of futurism--but really the
first half of a two-part roundup (the second half, Forecasts, probably
in the next issue, deals with short-term assertions, the kind that can
be checked readily).

Social Networks: The Social Network Scene, part 3 (pp. 33-44)

    Completing the catch-up effort on social networking items that
don't fit into a subgroup. Some fun stuff.