ETextbooks Widely Used, But Banned In Some Classes

McKiernan, Gerard [LIB] gerrymck at IASTATE.EDU
Mon Mar 26 21:11:24 EDT 2012

*** Apologies for Receipt of Duplicate Postings ***

Colleagues/

Students embrace the Technologies But ...

IMHO > Some Teachers Are Luddites [:-(]

/Gerry

[snip]

But in 2012 at Fresno State, not everybody is necessarily on board. Ignacio Gonzales, a fifth-year Spanish major with a focus on pre-med, has had his Barnes & Noble Nook for two months now, but has not used it for eTextbooks as much as he thought he would.

“I was looking for a cheaper way to get my books,” Gonzales said. “I had assumed that I’d be able to get my books a lot cheaper through the Nook. I was assuming the PDF files would be substantially less expensive than the hard copy but that isn’t always the case.”

[snip]

There are many instructors who don’t accept or allow electronic media in the classroom at all.

“I have said, ‘OK, I’m not allowing electronic devices,’” said drama instructor Gregg Dion.

“But now we have the Kindle Fire and iPads,” Dion said. “So now, how do I know that somebody is looking at their text in class and not looking at ESPN or email?”

A student at the Madden Library said she had one of her textbooks on her Kindle, but her instructor did not allow tablets like the Kindle in the classroom.

Whether tablets are embraced or banned can also depend on the class topic. Mathematics, engineering and the sciences appear to favor eTextbook use.

English education major José Ruiz bought his iPad two semesters ago primarily to take advantage of eTextbooks.

“I use it for documents so it saves money to not have to print stuff out and to have it right there,” Ruiz said. “I’ve bought four books for this semester. And I plan to buy more next semester. For one, they’re cheaper and you don’t have to carry them around. You have them in one place.”

Ruiz makes use of the advanced features of eTextbooks, especially the cloud features.

“Yes, I use the cloud,” Ruiz added. “Sometimes if I’m not reading it on the iPad I can read it on my iPod Touch. I have a Kindle app so I can save them on the iPod or even on a computer.”

Source Avaiable At

[ http://bit.ly/GUVA0E ]

Gerry McKiernan

Associate Professor