Sensory Information Navigation Systems (SINS)

McKiernan, Gerard [LIB] gerrymck at IASTATE.EDU
Mon Mar 19 22:27:39 EDT 2012

*** Apologies for Receipt of Duplicate Postings ***

Colleagues/

Beginning in the mid-1990s, I became obsessed [:-)] with a variety of Sensory Information Navigation Systems (SINS)[:-)] >

Of note are:

The Big Picture(sm): Visual Browsing in Web and non-Web Databases

[ http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/BigPic.htm ]

The Magic Touch(sm): Haptic Interaction in Web and non-Web Databases

[ http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/Touch.htm ]

The Next WAVe(sm): Auditory Browsing in Web and non-Web Databases

[ http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/Wave.htm ]

Documented ...

“As The World (Wide Web) Turns: Resources at Iowa State.” D-Lib Magazine (July/August 1998).
Available at http://www.dlib.org/dlib/july98/07clips.html (23 January 2012).

Morning Becomes Electric: Post-Modern Scholarly Information Access, Organization, and
Navigation. April 25, 1999. Available at http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/Morning.htm  (23
January 2012).

“New Age Navigation: Innovative Information Interfaces for Electronic  Journal.” The Serials
Librarian 45, no.2 (2003): 87-123. Self-archived at: http://www.public.iastate.edu/~gerrymck/NewAge.pdf  (23

January 2012).

“New Age Navigation: Innovative E-Journal Interfaces.” Presentation delivered at Internet Librarian 2003, Monterey Convention Center, Monterey, CA, November 3, 2003. Self-archived at: http://www.public.iastate.edu/~gerrymck/NewAgeIL.ppt     (23 January 2012); Director’s Cut self-archived at: http://www.public.iastate.edu/~gerrymck/NewAge.ppt    (23 January 2012).

Due to other obsessions [:-)], I have only been able to generally follow subsequent SIN-ful [:-)] developments and therefore I am calling on The Wisdom of The Web to re-kindle The (Old) Obsession, by eliciting / soliciting information about any current SINful activities on Any / All platforms for navigating Information Space (documents , media, The Web, etc).

With the significant increases in broadband, software, and interface functionalities there should have been major advances .. But IMHO there have not been the advances one (I) would have expected [:-(]

Please post Leads as a Comment on

[ http://sensory-information-navigation.blogspot.com/ ]

Thanks In Advance !

Regards,