Call for proposals: Focused research on leadership in libraries

Brad Eden brad.eden at VALPO.EDU
Mon Mar 19 10:56:28 EDT 2012

Please forgive any duplication or replication.  Please post on other
appropriate listservs, blogs, and to interested colleagues.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dr. Brad Eden, Dean of Library Services at Valparaiso University, and Ms.
Fagan, Director of Scholarly Content Systems & Associate Professor at James
Madison University, are working to advance research in the area of academic
library leadership. As one step toward this goal, we are seeking your
proposals for chapters in an edited book. We are especially interested in
connecting library leadership research to the larger body of leadership
theory.  (See Fagan, J.C. "The effectiveness of academic library deans and
directors: a literature review" *Library Leadership & Management*, v. 26,
no. 1, 2012, pp. 1-19).

·         Topical areas could include:

       Developing a research agenda in library leadership.

·         Methodologies for studying library leadership.

·         Connections between various leadership models and library-focused
research: engaging with business, psychology, and educational
administration literature (Fagan 2012, p. 9).

·         An examination of path-goal theory and leader-member exchange
theory, in combination with library leadership effectiveness.

·         Examining leadership styles and academic library leadership
effectiveness.

·         ROI analyses based on a library's contribution to effective
teaching and learning, and how leaders can use these effectively.

·         Women are making more significant progress in entering academic
library leadership roles than in higher education administration generally:
can lessons be learned from this? Do libraries have something to offer
higher education in this area?

·         Research into gendered leadership behaviors and leader
effectiveness in libraries.

·         Connecting research on academic deans with leadership studies
both within librarianship and beyond it (p. 9), research on academic deans
needs to be connected. Testing of  various leadership models and frameworks
with library leadership and university administration.

·         Examination of various factors in library leadership:  size of
library as determinant, union vs non-union, student vs research-centered,
state vs private.

Although we are initially focused on collecting and editing content for a
book on the topic of library leadership, we are also interested in talking
with any individuals engaged in such research or interested in engaging in
such research, for possible conference workshops, symposia, etc.

To submit book chapter proposals, please submit an abstract of
approximately 200 words and a brief outline to Dr. Eden at
brad.eden at valpo.edu or Ms. Fagan at faganic at jmu.edu.  Deadline for
discussion and/or proposals is May 20, 2012.

Bradford Lee Eden, Ph.D.
Dean of Library Services
Christopher Center for Library and Information Resources
Valparaiso University
Valparaiso, Indiana  46383

brad.eden at valpo.edu
219-464-5099