Google Chrome and LC diacritic display

Bob Rasmussen ras at ANZIO.COM
Wed Jun 20 21:29:08 EDT 2012

Oh, RUSSIAN diacritics, the double ones! Those are the most troublesome.

What version of Chrome are you using? What version of Windows or other OS?
On my Windows 7, with Chrome 19.0.1084.56 m, it displays OK.

I believe it comes down to what font ends up being used to display the
text. If the browser uses a font that doesn't contain those characters,
you get a rectangle or other placeholder.

My Chrome displays the surname Slutskaia (diacritics removed for
readability) in Calibri. I learned that by highlighting some of the text
in the browser, and pasting it (as RTF) into Wordpad. I can use the
Charmap utility in Windows to confirm that Calibri contains the character Unicode 0361, Combining Double
Inverted Breve.

The same thing in IE 9 reveals that it's displaying in Times New Roman,
which also works.

Note that in the sample shots you posted, the fonts are different between
the Chrome and the IE samples. I can't tell what fonts they are, but
they're different.

Finally, note that the number of included diacritics in Calibri and Times
New Roman has increased with later versions of Windows.

Bottom line, it's a matter of choosing the right fonts in your style
sheets.