Gates Foundation Announces $9 Million in Grants to Support Breakthrough Learning Models in Postsecondary Education

McKiernan, Gerard [LIB] gerrymck at IASTATE.EDU
Wed Jun 20 10:20:21 EDT 2012

*** Spoiler Alert > Possible Duplicate Posting ***

Colleagues

Is it just me, or did conventional higher education just experience a seismic disruption ?

/Gerry

June 19, 2012  / SEATTLE – The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation today announced a $9 million package of grants that aim to significantly boost the number of students who attain a high-quality and affordable postsecondary credential. These grants support a range of innovators from within and outside the postsecondary education system who are creating options that fit with the busy lives of today’s students, enabling them to earn a credential with value in the labor market without incurring significant debt.

“We have to challenge ourselves to rethink our longstanding assumptions about postsecondary education in the United States,” said Josh Jarrett, deputy director of Postsecondary Success, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. “Postsecondary education faces very real challenges in helping more students, particularly low-income students and students of color. Seat capacity is tight, tuition is skyrocketing, completion rates are low, and millions are unqualified for highly skilled jobs. We have to do something differently, and that’s what these investments in breakthrough learning models are about.” The Gates Foundation is announcing grants to several postsecondary initiatives that are fundamentally redesigning how students learn, how they are supported in that process, and how the postsecondary business model works to support affordable student success.

[more]

and related ...

[ http://alternative-educate.blogspot.com/2012/06/gates-foundation-announces-9-million-in.html ]
/Gerry