Job posting: Associate University Librarian

Andy Boze Boze.1 at ND.EDU
Tue Jul 24 15:04:14 EDT 2012

Cross-posted, apologies for any duplication.

Associate University Librarian

The University of Notre Dame Hesburgh Libraries seek two innovative,
collaborative, and forward-thinking leaders as Associate University
Librarians.

The Hesburgh Libraries are poised to begin an exciting new era. The
Associate University Librarians will collaborate with our
recently-appointed University Librarian to transform our organization in
two significant ways:

        More closely align our goals, structure, resources and values
with those of the University

        Energize the organization through emphasis on collaboration,
flexibility, empowerment, on-going learning, service excellence, and a
commitment to work together as one team.

Our recent strategic planning and organizational redesign processes will
provide a strong foundation for dynamic response to the opportunities
posed by new information technologies and digital services.

Each AUL will provide leadership, vision, and strategic directions for
one of two broad areas of service and will lead sustained innovations in
that area and across programs.

        The AUL for Digital Access, Resources, and Information
Technologies will guide the development of three crucial programs to
enhance discovery and access to world class resources within and beyond
our collections and develop robust digital library services.  These
programs are  Information Technology and Discovery Services (Web
development, Library Systems (Aleph, Primo), and Desktop Computing);
Resource Acquisitions and Delivery Services (Acquisitions, Metadata,
Cataloging, Electronic Resources, and Licensing); and Digital library
initiatives (an area targeted for strategic growth)

        The AUL for Research and Learning Services will lead three
University-focused programs designed to deepen our engagement with the
campus by developing distinctive collections, resources, and services
that demonstratively facilitate research and enhance learning. These
programs are: Arts and Humanities Research Services; Science,
Engineering, Business, and Social Sciences Services; and Outreach and
Academic Engagement.

The precise combination of responsibilities for these positions will be
further refined after the new team is on board.

Responsibilities of both positions include being able to:

        Provide Leadership and Vision by playing  a leading role in
library-wide strategic planning, resource management, and assessment and
helping to develop and convey a clear and compelling vision
         Maintain, develop, and inspire a strategically-focused and
highly knowledgeable workforce.  Coach and empower program directors and
team leaders to excel both directly and through effective delegation and
management
        Build and deepen campus relationships, identifying opportunities
to share resources, provide targeted services and programs, and
productively collaborate.
        Actively engage in the profession.  Contribute at the national
level, recognize trends and opportunities, and use this knowledge to
enrich local programs and strategic planning

Qualifications/Specialized Skills:

        A passionate commitment to the University’s research and
educational mission
        Demonstrated ability to engage librarians and staff in
successful team work, collaborative planning, and the delivery of
user-centered services
        Experience in  successfully leading and implementing change
        A record of success in developing  productive partnerships on
campus  and across  institutions
        A collaborative management style that prepares and empowers
others to excel
          The ability to develop and lead other professionals
        Strong grasp of current issues, trends, and technologies
impacting higher education and academic libraries
        Minimum of  five years of progressively responsible management
experience in an academic or research library or similar institution
        Advanced degree required, an ALA-accredited program or foreign
equivalent MLS and additional graduate degree preferred

Salary and Benefits:

Appointment salary and rank are competitive, commensurate with
experience and qualifications.  Librarians are non-tenured track members
of the Library Faculty.  The University offers an excellent benefits and
annual vacation package.

Environment:

The University of Notre Dame is a highly selective national Catholic
teaching and research university in northern Indiana about ninety miles
from Chicago.  Approximately 8,200 undergraduates and 3,100 graduate
students pursue a broad range of studies.  For more information about
the University of Notre Dame, please visit the University of Notre Dame
homepage at http://nd.edu/.  The University Libraries
http://www.library.nd.edu  hold about 3 million volumes and provide
access to more than 23,000 serials. The Libraries have 140 staff and 55
librarians. The Libraries are a member of the Academic Libraries of
Indiana (ALI), ARL, NERL and other consortia. The University of Notre
Dame is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer strongly
committed to diversity. We value qualified candidates who can bring a
variety of backgrounds to our community.

Further details & applications:

More information can be found about this position at the Libraries’
website: http://www.library.nd.edu/about/employment/

To apply, please include a letter, curriculum vitae and the names,
addresses, phone numbers and email addresses of three references.
Electronic submission of applications is required. Send all application
documents to: michelle.savoie at nd.edu

The review of applications will begin immediately and will continue
until the positions are filled.