laptop check out program

Angela Boyd angela.boyd at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 23 15:11:36 EDT 2012

We currently have 80 laptops.  We have a student body of about 22,000
during the regular school year.  Summer sessions enroll about 8,000.  UCSB
employs about 1,052 faculty.

Our laptop policy is connected to our computing policy in general.  Laptops
receive their updates and other maintenance in the same time frame as our
desktops.  Anytime there is a security issue, we get updates.  All other
updates are on a semi regular schedule of about 4 times a year.

We have not gotten rid of any laptops yet.  We have not had any damaged and
we have not had them long enough to upgrade to newer machines.  But the
time frame will mirror what we do with desktops.

I don't know for 100% certainty but I believe that the desktops are
upgraded ever 3 years.  The old desktops go to Surplus, the department
responsible for the disposal of UCSB's excess and surplus property.

No security method.  Students "check out" the laptop the same way they
check out dvds or books or any other material.  They are allowed to keep
the laptop for 4 hours and can take it anywhere they want, including
outside the library.  Some students own desktops but need a laptop for
presentations or just want to study outside so this works perfectly for
them.