RES: [WEB4LIB] laptop check out program

Michelangelo M M Viana mviana at PUCRS.BR
Mon Jul 23 13:28:59 EDT 2012

Lixia,

1. How many laptops do you have for this program?
- 38

How often do you upgrade the hardware?
- Since 2008, Office was not upgraded (still is 2007). Only IE was (7>8>9).

Did you get ride of some old laptops?
- Only when they need to be discarded (when are broken). In this case, they are replaced.

2. What's security method you are using?
- Our IT team opened the notebooks and inserted electromagnetic strips inside them, the same used for books (3M brand) - below the keyboard, so the EM gates buzz when it pass through it.
They are also loaned to the user through the Aleph500 (barcode / and password) and users also sign a commitment form, so even when he/she want to "steal", we know who has checked out the notebook.

Regards,
Michelangelo

Michelangelo Mazzardo Marques Viana | Support and Development
Central Library Systems Coordinator. Librarian CRB-10/1306
Pontifical Catholic University of Rio Grande do Sul - PUCRS
Ir.  Jose Otao Central Library | Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
+55(51) 3320.3544 r. 4371 | mviana at pucrs.br | http://www.pucrs.br/biblioteca