Blackboard + EZProxy + Referring URL Authentication

David W. Green dgreen49 at CSCC.EDU
Thu Jul 12 09:08:32 EDT 2012

I am interested in how some might use EZProxy + Referring URL
Authentication for Blackboard.

We are interested in using Referring URL Authentication to allow those
who have already authenticated into Blackboard to access library
materials without the need to log in again. We were wondering, though,
if anyone has this (or a similar) setup? Have you have had any
problems with security with this setup? The documentation for
Referring URL Authentication does list concerns of referral spoofing.
While I think it's unlikely, it's still technically possible. Has
anyone had this issue?

(By the way, we are aware of the EZproxy/Blackboard Building Block;
however, there are unique reasons we are trying to avoid this
solution.)

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

David W. Green
English Instructor