Endnote as a library catalog

Patrice Chalon patrice.chalon at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 26 01:35:54 EST 2012

Hello,

I did used EndNote for managing a small library for 2 years. It was a
nice option at that time (2004): structured records, connection to NLM
catalog or LC catalog, possibility to export in standard format....
The odd was about exemplars: it is not suited for several exemplars of
the same book. Managing journals (recording all received issues) was
also not ideal. And of course, no OPAC... So the next step for us at
that time (2006) was to look at the ILS without license fee (we ended
up with PMB, a open source full web ILS and are very happy with it).

In the same context, I would probably use the same approach today, but
with Zotero (or Mendeley) to get an "OPAC" (was necessary for us); or,
if possible (needs some resources), use Drupal with bibliography
module (the more as Drupal is our intranet CMS).

There are alternatives too EndNote : free (BibTex, Bibus, ...), or
cheaper (like biblioscape which offers several versions - I made a
trial and it was my second choice after EndNote-, the most expensive
seems to be suited for library management)

Hope it helps,

Patrice