Question: Virtual Libraries

Pat Rapp Pat.Rapp at FAIRPORTLIBRARY.ORG
Fri Jan 20 15:14:37 EST 2012

My public library is part of Monroe County Library System, which is comprised of 19 town libraries and 12 city libraries. We have a space in Second Life that is shared with the Center for Virtual Worlds Education and Research. (I swap out the build as needed, and have info on both organizations regardless of the build.)

I know Olathe Public Library is in there, too.

I just pinged the SL library list (alliancesecondlife at googlegroups.com<mailto:alliancesecondlife at googlegroups.com>) to see if there is a complete list and will let you know what I hear back.

Pat

From: Web technologies in libraries [mailto:WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On Behalf Of Malakia Oglesby
Sent: Friday, January 20, 2012 3:03 PM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: Re: [WEB4LIB] Question: Virtual Libraries

Speaking of Second Life...

Does anyone know of a website or some other source that lists the libraries in Second Life (SL)?  I've come across a few in my virtual SL travels but most have been University libraries.  I'm interested in knowing what public libraries have a Second Life presence.  I know I can always use the SL search but just wondered if anyone had compiled a list.

In the same way that we (as librarians and library support staff) are integrating other technologies (digital libraries, mobile apps, ebooks and ebook readers, etc.) I think it'd be great to be able to point out how libraries are using this kind of technology to reach, support, and provide information to "virtual" patrons.

If there is no such list or source out there already I'd be more than happy to start compiling one.
Malakia Oglesby, MIS
Asbury Park Public Library