3 positions available: Indiana State University, Terre Haute

Marsha Miller Marsha.Miller at INDSTATE.EDU
Wed Jan 18 11:42:58 EST 2012

Whether you're a Midwesterer by nature, or someone living on the coast, you need to take a look at ISU!

Indiana State University's Cunningham Memorial Library has 3 open faculty positions: Chair of Reference/Instruction Department; Emerging Technology Librarian [I'm chairing this one]; and Special Collections Catalog Librarian.

Join an exciting campus community. Enrollments are up, we have just completed a successful comprehensive fundraising campaign, and we have been designated a "Best in the Midwest" for the eighth consecutive year by Princeton Review. ISU has a strategic goal to employ and retain highly qualified faculty from underrepresented groups. Our city, a regional hub for commerce, arts, sports, cultural events, and medical services, received the 2010 "Indiana Community of the Year" award in 2010.

And the Library is at the heart of this exciting campus of more than 11,000 undergraduates and graduates. Our motto is "Your campus living room," and that is what we strive to be-the gathering place for campus. We offer many resources for our users including more than 1.3 million items in our collection including 140,000 e-books and 71,000 e-journals/databases.  Our Special Collections houses the Warren N. and Suzanne B. Cordell Collection of Dictionaries, one of the largest such collections in the world. In addition, we offer many services including the Writing Center and Commuter Lounge as well as excellent reference and instruction services, Interlibrary Loan, and e-Reserves. Offering opportunities to attend unique and rewarding programs, last year the library hosted 122 events that attracted 14,000 attendees. The Library is committed to serving as the academic and research heart of the Indiana State University.

Chair of the Reference/Instruction Department - 12-month senior leadership position, reporting to the Dean of Libraries. Manages, hires, trains, supervises, and evaluates department of 7 librarians and 1 support staff.  Responsible for all daily reference/instruction operations. Facilitates a collegial work environment. Collaborates with colleagues in library-wide planning, budgeting, and policy development.  Co-supervises Writing Center with chair of English Department.  Expected to progress successfully along tenure and promotion track; participate fully as a member of library faculty.

Special Collections Catalog Librarian -12-month, tenure track position.  Performs original/enhanced cataloging of books, manuscripts, special collections material in multiple languages. Coordinates copy cataloging of collections. Uses expertise in bibliographic/physical description of rare books and knowledge of processing/arrangement of manuscript collections to provide access to rare, unique materials in digital format.  Develops knowledge of collections housed in department.  Keeps department open, provides security for collections, and serves users.  Assists in department events and creating exhibits. Expected to progress successfully along the tenure and promotion track; participate fully as member of library faculty.

Emerging Technology Librarian -12-month tenure-track position. Designs, works with web applications, social media, mobile interfaces.  Incorporates design principles, information architectures, coding standards, emerging technologies in online systems. Gathers data about how ISU Library users employ technology to access information. Identifies, assesses, implements emerging technologies. Works with users through outreach and instruction in use of library technology. Makes recommendations to improve online access. Tracks changes in technology, resource platforms, and related tools; uses social media, online tools to advertise changes in technology to university community. Coordinates work with other Library units. Expected to progress successfully along tenure and promotion track, participate fully as a member of library faculty.

Indiana State University is an EEO/AA employer and is committed to recruiting and retaining minority faculty and staff. For more information, please see https://jobs.indstate.edu.
The Committee will continue to accept applications and nominations until the position is filled.  Screening of candidates will begin February 1, 2012. For best consideration, applications should be provided by January 31, 2012.

Marsha Miller
Reference/Instruction Librarian
Indiana State University
marsha.miller at indstate.edu<mailto:marsha.miller at indstate.edu>
812.237.2606
Join AAUW of the Wabash Valley!!!
http://web.indstate.edu/aauw-in/wabashvalley.html
National AAUW http://www.aauw.org<http://www.aauw.org/>
Great Mike Lunsford column on Reading:
http://tribstar.com/mike_lunsford/x967715144/The-Off-Season-Each-night-before-sleep-he-keeps-his-promise-to-read

"...eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man"   {T. Jefferson}

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2012-01-18