E-Portfolio software/web service ?

Munson, Doris dmunson at EWU.EDU
Thu Jan 5 13:48:40 EST 2012

We went through the RFP process last year and decided to use Data180.  It's fairly easy to use and has levels of security that address many of your concerns below.  I don't know about the ability to publish documents/pages on the web but it does allow you to have URLs in the records to link to web pages.  It's also possible to upload different document formats.  EWU will start using it for promotion and tenure review next year.

Templates can be customized for each department.  We're using Active Directory authentication and will be uploading information from Banner.

Regards,
Doris

Doris Munson
Systems/Reference Librarian
Eastern Washington University
dmunson at ewu.edu
509-359-6395

-----Original Message-----
From: Web technologies in libraries [mailto:WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On Behalf Of Marcus W Davis
Sent: Thursday, January 05, 2012 7:56 AM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: [WEB4LIB] E-Portfolio software/web service ?

I've been asked to look at using/developing some sort of e-portfolio software/web service for use by faculty in submitting promotion & tenure documents.
- would need to keep some documents/pages confidential
- need to provide restricted access (e.g., password-protected or shared) to the confidential portions
- would like to be able to openly publish some documents/pages on web
- some kind of templating so that portfolio could be structure to accord with promote/tenure requirements (recommendations, publications, activities, etc.)
- would be excellent if reviewer comments were possible

I obviously could build something like this using wiki or wordpress, but wanted to ask if anyone was doing this via a commercial service, commercial service or locally-built.

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.

Marc W. Davis   515-271-1934
Cowles Library, Drake University
Mailing:  2507 University Ave., Des Moines, IA 50311 USA
Shipping: 2725 University Ave., Des Moines, IA 50311 USA

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2012-01-05