Atiz BookDrive Pro or Book2Net RGB

Sharon Foster fostersm1 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 24 16:58:27 EST 2012

I recently worked at a place that used the Atiz DIY setup. I don't know if
the same software drives the DIY and the Pro, but I would advise against
using the software to do any image processing, especially if your final
output is going to be a PDF. Almost any image processing
application--Photoshop, Adobe Elements, Picasa--is going to degrade the
quality of your images, so you want to do it as late in the process as
possible. Zooming in on our older images made aliasing readily apparent.

After I finished tweaking the process, the book scanner software was used
only to crop away the wide black border as the image was captured.
Everything else--color correction, OCR, optimization for the Web--took
place in Adobe Acrobat Pro. (Pricey, like most Adobe products, but you can
get it for a song at Tech Soup.)

The cameras we used captured JPEGs. If you can capture in TIFF, it will be
worth the time to try both formats and see if you can tell the difference
in the final image at, say, 200% zoom.

Sharon
Sharon M. Foster
Digital Resources Librarian

*"All accumulation, therefore, of personal property, beyond what a man’s
own hands produce, is derived to him by living in society; and he owes on
every principle of justice, of gratitude, and of civilization, a part of
that accumulation back again to society from whence the whole came.*" ~Tom
Paine