CoTweet alternatives - Roundup

sfer sfernafelists at YAHOO.COM
Thu Feb 2 12:19:56 EST 2012

Thank you very much to everyone who replied to my request.

The message sent a couple of weeks ago was as follows:

Any libraries out there using CoTweet to manage their Twitter accounts?
CoTweet
 is "sunsetting" their free version in about a month, and would love to
hear what libraries with almost-no-budget for social media are thinking
about using from now on (or are already using).

Here are the answers I got:

- I just recently started using hootsuite and ping.fm.  I like them both
so far.  You can use ping.fm in hootsuite.  My budget is $0, so I like
anything free!

- I'm not too familiar with CoTweet, but from what I could gather from a
quick glimpse of their website, they are similar to HootSuite ( http://hootsuite.com/ ). We use HootSuite and love it. You can schedule tweets/updates on
different social media networks, you have a real-time dashboard for
updates on the networks you choose, and when you post links, you get
weekly reports on the number of clicks they received. It also has a
feature that posts updates on social networks when RSS feeds of your
choice are updated. We have a free account, and it's been more than
sufficient for our small library.
- We use Hootsuite and Tweetdeck. Both of them allow you to manage different social networks, Twitter among them.
- I guess you know about Tweetdeck. It's an app that allows you to manage different accounts. You can create different columns, and set up each one of them with the timeline, DMs, mentions, whatever hashtags you want, etc...

- We used to use cotweet but now we use Hootsuite's free version. I am
really happy with its capabilities and stats. I manage it often just
using my iPhone app but their website is great too. Use it for
foursquare, twitter and facebook. Hootsuite.com- I guess you know about Tweetdeck. It's an app that allows you to
manage different accounts. You can create different columns, and set up
each one of them with the timeline, DMs, mentions, whatever hashtags you want, etc...
- Several options:

- Stackroll http://stackroll.com/

- Buffer http://www.bufferapp.com/

- Hootsuite http://hootsuite.com/

- TwitDrip http://www.twitdrip.com/
Some of them have payment options that allow you to schedule more tweets, and less in the free version. The last one is free and you can schedule as many as you want (so far...).

***

By myself, I have also tried other services:
- Tweetroost (no team members on the free version, like Hootsuite).
- Splitweet.
- Birdherd.
- Grouptweet (no way for team members to see scheduled tweets by others).
- Cultivatr (no free service).

I want to mention that the most similar service to CoTweet that I have found is called Marketmesuite. It allows you to:
- Schedule messages.
- Have a team of members collaborating in the management of one single (or several) twitter accounts (hootsuite offers this as well but only in the premium service, not in the free service).
They have just released a beta app that works from the cloud (until now, they used a desktop app that you had to download), and I have to admit that it's not yet working 100% bug-free, but they assure me that they're working on it (for example, the first time I logged in I could not access the team members section, but they told me they would release that feature in a couple of days and voila: after the weekend I could start adding team members). We will probably switch from CoTweet to Marketmesuite as soon as it's more stable. Until then, we are working with a Google Document in which all team members can see what tweets are scheduled and add their own, and with Hootsuite in which one of the team members schedules all the tweets. It's a pain (considering how easy it was with Cotweet), but it works and it's free.

Thanks for the help provided. If you want more info about how we (a team of five) manage our Twitter account (@ComicTS - about comics and graphic novels), feel free to contact me.

Silvia Fernandez
Biblioteca Tecla Sala
L'Hospitalet - Spain