Tablets and Laptops in the Public Library?

Wilhelmina Randtke randtke at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 21 20:20:20 EST 2012

This recent study in ALA's Library Information Technology Association
(LITA)'s journal indicates that university students at an academic library
preferred to use the desktops in the library even when they could have
viewed material on their cell phones or laptops:  Student Use of Library
Computers: Are Desktop Computers Still Relevant in Today's Libraries? by
Susan Thompson  http://ejournals.bc.edu/ojs/index.php/ital/article/view/2284

I have mixed feelings about upgrading desktops.  Generally, I think an old
computer is perfectly fine for internetting and database research, which is
what patrons will be doing.  A newer desktop isn't a necessity unless the
patrons will be doing graphics or gaming or something, and I only know of
one public library I've frequented ever that had any of that.  So, I'm all
about skimping and just putting more out if there's a budget.

I'm currently at a library where the management decided against tablets for
library use.  I think most of that is that, yeah, they will get
broken/lost/stolen.  I'm against tablets for check out as well.  I don't
seen a need for them, and other technology needs have more priority.

Something that might be good would be to get just one or two tablets and
make them available for library staff to use.  That way any staff who is
interested can have the opportunity to check out a tablet and form their
own opinion of it.  Something like roving reference is about the only time
I ever see tablets mentioned along with an actual use, and getting just a
few tablets (maybe an android and an iPad) would let librarians try out
uses.  The key thing is to have a plan to circulate the tablets through
interested staff, instead of them just sitting with one person, or not
getting used at all because no one feels comfortable asking or confident of
knowing the time frame they will have a tablet so as to plan for it.

-Wilhelmina Randtke

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 4:15 PM, Murphy, Michael P. <
murphym34 at owls.southernct.edu> wrote:

>  Greetings all,
>
> I work as a Technology Services librarian at a small-to-medium sized
> public library, and my director is seeking to 'modernize' the library by
> employing the use of tablets and laptops as part of the PAC technologies.
> However, I have significant reservations about security and safety when it
> comes to using these devices in the public library, and my feelings are
> that purchasing newer desktops would be much more beneficial and practical.
> I know that each library is different and what works for some might not
> work for others, but can anyone share their experiences with using laptops
> and tablets in their particular library? Has it worked, or not? Maybe you
> have feelings similar to me and avoided it?
>
> Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
>
> - Mike
>
> Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/
>
> 2012-12-13

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/