Low-Cost Prototype OPAC System

Brice, John jbrice at CCFLS.ORG
Wed Dec 19 09:54:04 EST 2012

OK for sake of argument here is a price list for a brand new Kiosk station
using a Pi or some other APC

Main Board         28 to 55
Case  &  PS         0    to 30
Mem Card 8 gig            12
Monitor (HDMI)              95   (I just bought one today from Walmart 19"
widescreen)
Keyboard and Mouse   15
USB Extender                15  (we mount our thin client stations to
underneath the table (see attached picture) so we need the extenders

Total potential cost    $222

For the sake of argument I kind of over estimated the costs.  A careful
shopper should do better on RAM, mouse and keyboards.  If you use the Pi
then the cost goes down to under $200.  Most library's have extra keyboards
and mice so costs could realistically be in the $170 to  $200 range.

As you can see in this picture the small form factor of the computers
allowed them to be completely hidden.  All wires are run underneath the
table so the only thing you see on the table top is the monitor, keyboard,
mouse and USB/audio extender.  We also have everything hooked up to an
automatic timer so there is no need to shut or start the computers up in
the morning.

John Brice
Meadville Public Library

--