Tablets and Laptops in the Public Library?

Tagliaferro, Jessica Jessica.Tagliaferro at SUNYWCC.EDU
Fri Dec 14 12:08:34 EST 2012

Yes,  I actually think in terms of the device, the concern was about students loading apps and the staff time it would take to check-in/out wipe them "clean", etc.  The more recent arguments have been about lifecycle management and risk of theft.

I guess our concerns are going to be different than in a public library setting. Academic publishers don't  produce Kindle-friendly e-books quite yet. Our students are here to work in Excel and write papers, as well as do research. We do lend laptops and have for some time, however.

You have peaked my interest though! Now I am going to go to my local public this weekend to see what they are up to!

Jessica

From: Web technologies in libraries [mailto:WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On Behalf Of McLaughlin, David
Sent: Friday, December 14, 2012 11:36 AM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: Re: [WEB4LIB] Tablets and Laptops in the Public Library?

Not to argue with your IT director, but I'd love to see the PC that is more "secure" than an iPad. Someone could potentially infect or hack your PCs unless  a number of security measures are put in place. Take a brand new iPad out of the box and what can someone do to violate its security or your network's security? Install Angry Birds?

-Dave