Tablets and Laptops in the Public Library?

Phillip Whitford PWhitford at BRASWELL-LIBRARY.ORG
Fri Dec 14 11:29:15 EST 2012

We are a medium sized public library and we loan laptops to the public
for use inside our facility. We also offer desktops for public use. We
have been loaning laptops for about ten years now and don't have any
real issues with that. We secure them using Deepfreeze and they use
wi-fi to connect to the Internet. We use full size laptops and they
stand up well to the use. We do have to replace the laptop power
adapters more than I would like (we check them out with the laptops) as
the cords break but we can deal with that. The laptops are very popular
and let patrons sit wherever they want.

We  tried netbooks for a while but after the novelty wore off patrons
preferred using the laptops with the bigger screens and keyboards. So we
converted most of the netbooks into PACs where they work well. We use
full size monitors, mice, and keyboards with them and lock the netbook
itself in the bottom of the PAC cabinet. Patrons never know they are
using a netbook. We tend to use any leftover and nearly obsolete pc as
PACs.

We provide IT support for another library that purchased laptops and
uses them tethered to a table. The idea was they could fit more of them
into the available space than they could fit desktops. It seems to work
ok for them. The laptops are physical secured with cables to the table
and are controlled like the desktops that library also has.

We have tablets for use by certain staff but we do not loan them to
patrons. They cost to benefit ratio is too high at this time. However, I
can see us doing it in a few years when our budget and the technology
both get better.

If you would like details on how we loan laptops please ask.

Happy holidays!

Phillip B. Whitford

Associate Director for Support Services

Braswell Memorial Library

Rocky Mount, NC 27804

Opinions expressed may not be those of my organization