Tablets and Laptops in the Public Library?

Murphy, Michael P. murphym34 at OWLS.SOUTHERNCT.EDU
Thu Dec 13 17:15:47 EST 2012

Greetings all,

I work as a Technology Services librarian at a small-to-medium sized public library, and my director is seeking to 'modernize' the library by employing the use of tablets and laptops as part of the PAC technologies. However, I have significant reservations about security and safety when it comes to using these devices in the public library, and my feelings are that purchasing newer desktops would be much more beneficial and practical. I know that each library is different and what works for some might not work for others, but can anyone share their experiences with using laptops and tablets in their particular library? Has it worked, or not? Maybe you have feelings similar to me and avoided it?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

- Mike

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2012-12-13